Some things to focus testing on for F9Beta

Shawn Starr sstarr at platform.com
Thu Mar 27 15:49:58 UTC 2008

> With respect to PackageKit, please test it, and please also update to
> the 0.1.10 version that is going to be released on Friday and should
> appear in rawhide at the same time. We have worked really hard on
> smoothing some of the rough edges, it should be much better.

I've been using it for the last three days, looks good, but some dialog box statuses are blank, when doing some upgrades to new packages.
I also note, when I get new kernel updates it is not prompting me to reboot system or give me the option to do so (as the screenshots do show this).
It seems very usable however

> gdm. Areas of interest for testing this: reliability - does gdm always
> come back, no matter how you end your session or kill the X server ?
> lockdown - we run some 'ordinary' applications on the login

gdm fails to load anything once you attempt to login if you do not have any DE installed. If you start with a @base system and then yum groupinstall "X Window System" gdm will load (it looks rather odd the theme) but it fails to go into the default twm environment (this was from rawhide).

Anyone can confirm this?

> screen, such
> as gnome-power-manager and metacity. The are locked down in various
> ways, and it would be good to know if that is successful - eg it would
> be bad if someone were able to run a web browser on the login screen.

Any reason gnome-power-manager wants to eat 1.0-1.3% CPU when the system is in use?

--
Shawn Starr
Software Developer, Open Source Grid Development Center (OSGDC)