inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 17:39:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 13:34 -0400, David Mansfield wrote:

> > # Documentation on Upstart event handlers can be found here:
> > # http://upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html
> > # http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/Stanzas
> >

> I'd personally prefer to have some man pages to read, rather than (or in
> addition to) external URLs.  Is there a man page which documents upstart
> in general? (man upstart?).  And do these man pages include the
> information you just put into /etc/inittab?  It would be ironic if the
> most useful documentation on upstart could be found in /etc/inittab.

There aren't man pages for these things yet, or I'd have linked to them.
I'm sure there would be a lot of *very* grateful people (myself
included) if you were to write some basic man pages for these things...

upstart's init(8) page mentions that it reads files from /etc/event.d
and doesn't talk abut inittab at all. But that doesn't really provide
all the information you'd want.

-w