few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 19:53:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:47 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Eric Mesa wrote:
> > I've been following this sporadically, but if the issue is, as I believe
> > it is, whether a regular user should be able to run the programs that we
> > usually save for root, then I say, "have you gone nuts?"  If you want
> > that, go use windows.
> >

> Don't confuse permission to access the things the programs typically
> affect with the finding the programs in your PATH.  No one is suggesting
> that the concept of root authentication should go away.  Just that the
> difference between doing "su' and "su -" be less confusing and that
> typing ifconfig should show a user his ip address, not
> bash: ifconfig: command not found

If I can add on the topic, on debian there has never been a (noticeable)
difference between su and su -, and ip addr or ifconfig works as a user
without having to prepend /sbin or /usr/sbin IIRC

I find often quite annoying that it does not work the same in Fedora/Red
Hat distributions, and never seen anything break because of that.

Anyway it should be taken in consideration whether current Fedora users
would be annoyed by the change. IMO it should not cause any problem of
sort, as it does not introduce obstacles and does not influence (I
think) how stuff works now. It just makes things smoother, but that's
taste.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York