Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 23:05:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 23:00 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Oke everyone i made a nice little html + javascrip page of a possible
> solution to make it suitable for the developer AND the completely new
> linux users. Take a look here [1] and see for yourself.
>
> I didn't spend any time at the look (obvious) but it's just to get the
> idea of what is possible today. the link works 100% fine in FF but IE
> might show it a little different.
>
> So what do you think of it? btw.. done in about 40 minutes. Also the
> ajax technology is NOT used in this example but if something like this
> is gonna be made for real than i think using ajax here to load the
> developer information would be a perfect fit.
>
> [1] http://fedora-webui.mageprojects.com/

Looks good, a couple of comments:

This is more suited to an application view as you have the install link.
For package view I would want to see the latest versions built and
released in each of the important repos (devel, F-8, F-7, RHEL-5,
RHEL-4, RHEL-3) with the ability to see all the builds.  If a specific
package version is selected it should show if it is released and in what
version.  The icon should be grabbed from the package if it has one,
same with the description (perhaps we could allow wiki like editing here
for better descriptions, but I feel that is only good if it can somehow
update the package too).

If you are doing packages it is geared towards developers anyway so
there is no need for the Developer Info link.  Instead I would have
direct links above the comments or even as a sidebar for things like
patches, source tarball download, dependency tracker, etc.  For things
that are useful to be on the main page but hidden such as file lists
another section that when clicked on expands.

Oh and upstream info is just as important as the package info so the
upstream stats such as where to get the original sources and homepage
info.  In the future even showing that a new version has been released
would be great but one step at a time.