GSoC ideas on L10n engineering and Transifex

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 10:16:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 00:27 +0200, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> Better late than never, I've put together some ideas for Google Summer
> of Code projects on L10n engineering and Transifex:
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas#transifex
>
> If you're interested in any of them, contact me directly or for more
> information.

Here's another idea I mailed to Dim directly. While some usability
things have been added to the Wiki page in the meantime, I'd like to
propose this here as well:

--- 8< ---
> Hi Dim,
>
> I just read your blog post about Transifex Google Summer of Code
> ideas, I have one that may also be interesting.
>
> I was wondering if the current workflow for translators could be
> improved. AIUI, a translator downloads the .po file from
> translate.fp.org or vcs.fedoraproject.org, changes things and pushes
> these through Tx.
>
> I think it'd be beneficial if they could at least download and submit
> po files from the same place, or better yet have an additional
> web-based PO file editor (does such a thing exist?) where they can
> edit the files in-place. This would lower the bar for becoming a
> translator tremendously as somebody wanting to contribute in that area
> would only need a web browser and few skills beyond the actual
> translating.
>
> As an idea, this could just list the strings that need translation,
> one after the other, with a textarea where the translator could type
> in the translation, everything else would be read-only. It could also
> warn the user if the string contains potential pitfalls like Python
> positional parameters (which are a bit confusing to people new to it)
> and check if they source positional parameters are translated well.

Dim's answer pretty much boiled down to that this would mean integration
of Pootle[1] with Transifex and after skimming over its pages, and
trying out the interface, I agree. Dim, do you think it makes sense to
spell it out as such on the GSOC wiki page?

[1]: Pootle: http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759