Suggestion Next Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 13:10:51 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> No, it's an argument for a general purpose window manager that lets you
>> open as many windows containing as many instances of the same or
>> different programs as you want.  But we've had that for ages.  Why do so
>> many applications pretend they have to manage their own multiple windows
>> in quirky and different ways too?
>
> Because you need exactly 2 panes to do most file management operations (copy,
> move etc.) and a single one for the remaining ones, so having a dozen windows
> with folders you happened to pass while looking for those 2 folders is only
> annoying and forces you to play Duck Hunt with the X buttons, the extra windows
> serve no useful purpose.

That's not the alternative I meant.  The sane way is to explicitly open
2 instances of your file manager in browser mode and position both the
window and the view of each independently.  No funky key combo's to deal
with, no extra panes/windows that you don't need, just normal window
management.  Works exactly the same way across Windows/Mac/Linux.
Cut/copy/paste, drag/drop all do what you expect.  Since you'll probably
need them frequently, you can just minimize these windows and leave them
available to revive from the task bar.  The only down side is a bit of
wasted screen space for browser mode but that's a reasonable tradeoff to
be able to navigate more easily.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com