Directory structures in the future and other things I want.

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 20:49:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 13:59 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > >
> > Tab completion is a real usability kicker for having sbin vs. bin: it
> > benefits tremendously from having only those commands in your PATH which
> > are sensible to be used. Everything else just clutters up your display
> > if you use TAB-TAB to find commands.
>
> Why isn't it sensible for me to run ifconfig to find my ip address as a
> user, or to find fdisk if I su instead of 'su -'?

I've already said elsewhere that I'm not against moving those commands
which are sensibly used by normal users into {/usr,}/bin, providing
links where necessary. I've heard the argument that we can't do that due
to RPM sucking at symlink handling, my answer to that is that we could
use hardlinks until RPM is able to handle symlinks properly.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759