Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 11:28:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Izhar Firdaus <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Same goes for me, but looking Mockups, It looks a lot like PackageDB,
>  but with an improved UI .. so, in my mind, rather than making MyFedora
>  take PackageDB's ( http://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb |
>  https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/ ) work, why dont extend PackageDB?
>  .. PackageDB code is already out there .. revamp the UI, add more
>  features .. I used the name "PackageWebUI" was because thats the title
>  in the Fedora GSOC Idea page .. but I would prefer an approach of
>  improving pkgdb rather than writing a new one..
>
>  my.fedoraproject.org / MyFedora - the name sounds more like a Fedora
>  AIO to me, and thats also what i understand from
>
>  "my.fedoraproject.org is a project to integrate all of the Fedora
>  infrastructure in one place. The goal is to create a modular web page
>  in which each module would pull views from the various Fedora
>  resources and display them to the user.",
>
>  and one of those modules, could be an integration to
>  PkgDB/PackageWebUI .. Unix philosophy: "Write programs that do one
>  thing and do it well." .. PkgDB focuses on packages, MyFedora focuses
>  on integrating the rest of Fedora infrastructure. Of course, provide a
>  way for all of them to communicate with each other
>  (JSON,XMLRPC,whatever).

hurm ... on another look at it at a different perspective ... MyFedora
could be where the all the UI improvements to be done .. and let
packagedb as one of the backend providers for MyFedora .. and instead
of packagedb become the centralized everything all-about-packages site
with bodhi and koji details are also queried there, myfedora could be
the place which connects packagedb, bodhi, koji, and the rest of the
infrastructure ...

and yes .. both idea sounds great :D

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail