Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 14:44:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote
>  > Or do J5 have different view about this?, both idea ( improve MyFedora
>  > / improve PackageDB ) sounds okay to me, just that I feel that if
>  > MyFedora implements those features, PackageDB and the effort made for
>  > it previously would be rendered of no-use (or perhaps thats what one
>  > of MyFedora's goal - to obsolete packagedb ) ..
>
>  There is a balance here.  For everything I have to pull from there is a
>  cost in terms of calls I have to make to different backends per page
>  along with the extra work to recreate the GUI for each module.  The
>  different backends are taking a tools centric approach to manipulating
>  data where as My Fedora takes a more data centric approach (here is the
>  data how would I like to manipulate and display).  I agree the data side

In other words, instead of calling interfaces provided by these
backends (which is, obviously, more costly) , MyFedora will be
directly access the databases and manipulate the data to be in a more
user-centric and useful views (am I right?).

>  of it should be part of PackageDB but unless someone really wants to
>  work on a separate PackageDB UI I would just have that be a simple dump
>  of the database in a slightly nicer form.
>
>  In any case my thoughts on the subject are logged somewhere else in the
>  thread where I talk about Apps vs. Packages and how a separate app would
>  look different from a My Fedora app.  Read there.

I couldnt find the thread, is it in this list or another list?. iirc
i've read it before. an App may have multiple Packages.

>  --
>

> John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com>

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail