Label and mount point different

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:05:38 UTC 2008

John Reiser wrote:
>> The label for F9 is practically irrelevant since anaconda installs using
>> UUID in  /etc/fstab now.
>
> Appropriate documentation is *NEVER* irrelevant, and using labels as
> documentation is one very valid operational technique.  A good label
> can add redundancy, speed identification and understanding, and reduce
> the chances for making expensive mistakes.

I didn't mean irrelevant in that labels should be removed or not set, I meant
that what the label happens to be is not longer expected to be the typical '/',
'/tmp', 'usr', etc, and it can be anything (i.e. the label value itself is
irrelevant).  The second sentence you removed in that quote suggested setting
labels specifically to identify the partitions as F9... I know you still want
them there.

>> ... the answer has been that partition ordering on disk is no
>> longer a very crucial thing to configure manually.
>
> It's still crucial for Rescue mode (the root partition of the System
> to Rescue is chosen from a list containing items such as "sda3, <label>")
> and for interoperability with other OS, including all previous Fedora.
> Twice already I've had to use Rescue mode on Fedora 9 Beta installations
> because of installation mishaps.  Trying to select the right partition by
> UUID _only_ would be a usability disaster for Rescue mode.  The list of
> UUIDs would have to be recorded in advance, etc.  Rescue Mode is one place
> where good labels really shine.

Ok I agree on the point of documentation and easy identification, but the
partition ordering on disk is a different issue.  Whether your partitions are in
order 1,2,3 or 3,2,1 does not change needing to know which is which, it only
changes which partitions are generally closer to head neutral position and which
are accessed most often.  Yes, you still need to be able to identify which one
you need to pick when rescuing.  But you do not really *need* to make your swap
appear first on the disk compared to letting disk druid float your swap wherever
on disk it chooses.