few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:11:30 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 22:47 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> This proposal is in the same class of proposals proposing to abandon
>>> "user accounts" and/or to use "root only".
>> No it is not.  There are absolutely no security considerations *right now* for
>> whether a normal user has /*/sbin in their path or not.
>
> Correct, security is not the point. The point is *usability*
>
> It's in the same lane as
> "Who needs root, gid/uids when I am the only user on a system?

Perhaps in the same lane, but you're talking about a difference of miles down
the road (and already driven over the cliff).  To even compare these two is
silly IMO; one creates enormous security breach potential, the other has zero
security impact.

>>   This has nothing
>> whatsoever to do with access permission or authorization for actions those
>> binaries may attempt to make.  Changing to root only definitely does.
> That's not my rationale.
>
> IMO, this proposal is yet the n-th manifestation of Fedora going down
> the drain - Frankly speaking, to me this proposal is such kind of
> absurd, I can only turn away in disgust.

I can't possibly see why... although some people have felt that way about lots
of usability improvements over the years.  What argument is there that its
necessary to stick to the 'good old way' here?  The best I've seen in the thread
is just increasing bash autocomplete clutter, which frankly, is grasping for
something/anything to complain about.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used