Too many default services on

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Mon Mar 31 11:35:46 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Ola Thoresen wrote:
>
>> And that if I install a specific package, I would want the service to
>> start as default (or else I would not have installed the package in the
>> first place).
>
> That isn't necessarily true. It depends on where and how the software is
> being deployed.

Quite frankly I'd say even in the case of services that usually are
expected to be started as default (e.g. httpd) I think I could live with
having to manually activate it.

I see two exceptions: sshd and "local" services like e.g. dbus, beagle,
etc. that don't listen on external IPs and that you cannot really expect
the user to activate manually.

Regards,
   Dennis