Too many default services on

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Mon Mar 31 14:35:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, John Dennis wrote:

> My understanding is rpm's which install a service do *not* start the service
> in %post via chkconfig for all the reasons cited in the thread (i.e. the sys
> admin or owner decides what should be running, how it's configured,e etc.
> merely installing an rpm should not start a hidden service). There are a
> minority of exceptions, services which must run to make the system usable,
> these are well known. It is permissible to perform a condrestart in %post, but
> this is just respecting the existing configuration on the box.

AFAIK, there are no guidelines -- look through the wiki and see if you can
find any?

I agree that what you're saying is what the standard should be, but other
packagers' understanding appears to be something closer to "if it's a
non-default package, install should enable since installing means you want
it". See, for example, BZ #433408

later,
chris