Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Pavel Khardikov sonic at inetwork.ru
Mon Mar 31 18:44:40 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Pavel Khardikov wrote:
>> Izhar Firdaus wrote:
>>>
>>> Same goes for me, but looking Mockups, It looks a lot like PackageDB,
>>> but with an improved UI .. so, in my mind, rather than making MyFedora
>>> take PackageDB's ( http://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb |
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/ ) work, why dont extend PackageDB?
>>> .. PackageDB code is already out there .. revamp the UI, add more
>>> features .. I used the name "PackageWebUI" was because thats the title
>>> in the Fedora GSOC Idea page .. but I would prefer an approach of
>>> improving pkgdb rather than writing a new one..
>>>
>>> my.fedoraproject.org / MyFedora - the name sounds more like a Fedora
>>> AIO to me, and thats also what i understand from
>>>
>>> "my.fedoraproject.org is a project to integrate all of the Fedora
>>> infrastructure in one place. The goal is to create a modular web page
>>> in which each module would pull views from the various Fedora
>>> resources and display them to the user.",
>>>
>>> and one of those modules, could be an integration to
>>> PkgDB/PackageWebUI .. Unix philosophy: "Write programs that do one
>>> thing and do it well." .. PkgDB focuses on packages, MyFedora focuses
>>> on integrating the rest of Fedora infrastructure. Of course, provide a
>>> way for all of them to communicate with each other
>>> (JSON,XMLRPC,whatever).
>>>
>>> Or do J5 have different view about this?, both idea ( improve MyFedora
>>> / improve PackageDB ) sounds okay to me, just that I feel that if
>>> MyFedora implements those features, PackageDB and the effort made for
>>> it previously would be rendered of no-use (or perhaps thats what one
>>> of MyFedora's goal - to obsolete packagedb ) ..
>>>

>> I agree with you.
>> IMHO, need to use as a basis packagedb (revamp the UI, add more
>> features, etc).
>> Make it pretty and convenient for users.
>>

> I've clarified the Package WebUI idea a bit [1]_
>
> Basically, the data is going to need to reside in the PackageDB.
> MyFedora may choose to pull that information out as raw data or as an
> import of the PackageDB UI.  We'll have to evaluate that later.  the
> focus of this particular project would be to provide a task or
> application oriented interface to the information in rpms.  This will
> require a fair bit of additional db schema as the current schema is
> oriented towards packages and we'll want to pull information about
> programs, libraries, etc out of the packages.
>
> There are other possible projects revolving around the packagedb and
> myfedora.  For instance, the PackageDB UI is in desperate need of a
> clean up (the present UI is what I threw together to make the intial
> release.)  If someone wanted to take the time to mockup a new UI and
> implement the html templates/javascript functions to make it work,
> that would be a much needed project as well.
>
> .. _[1]:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas#head-fc035207c713afb64340dc9c1fdfcda3ae963f53

> [...]
I thought to realize exactly these functions of  Package WebUI project
from the very begining as the idea for GSoC.
But unfortunately there is no time till deadline for presenting
applications :-(
I wish I had a chance to do UI for package WebUI pretty, convinient and
clear for everyone.

--
Best regards. Pavel Khardikov