Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:54:45 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 08:16 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Stripping of pathname-based and package-name based dependencies I can
>>> understand, but not the library deps.
>> Are they the same across all RPM based systems?
>>

> The library deps sorta have to be. The deps come out of what the program
> is linked to.
>
> as an example run:
> ldd /usr/bin/xterm
>
> and look at what it outputs

VMWare-server should probably be split into two packages.  Only the
console portion needs the X libs and you can run it on a different
machine, a different OS, or not at all, so it wouldn't make much sense
for a run-time dependency for that part to prevent installation of the
rest of the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com