Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:58:09 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't, which is exactly my point... the harder, or more
>>> explicitly, anything must be done to distribute proprietary software...
>>> the more likely it will be done with a shell script which spews files
>>> all over the place.
>>>
>>> You don't get proprietary software to work nicely with package
>>> management systems by making it even harder.
>> Would you mind leaving the 'p' word out of this discussion?
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  'p' to some means anything != free/oss.  And if it's
> free/oss, what better place than to be *in* fedora.

I don't understand why anyone would have any interest in an operating
system that can only run its own programs.  Aside from the obvious
limitations since no one could seriously expect it to include all
possibilities, it has to be an enormous waste of effort to build the
specialized versions and package them in repositories that few people
will use anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com