Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 15:46:02 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> umm, okay. But no one here controls the vmware package. Hell, speaking
>>> for just me, I don't even CARE about vmware.
>>
>> I read that as "I don't care about fedora users" that want to run
>> applications of their choice.  Whether that's what you mean or not, I
>> suspect I'm not the only one who sees that as the end result.
>
> This is just silly. Any advice on how VMWare should split it's package
> is completely offtopic for this list. Nobody here can do anything about
> how VMWare chooses to package anything.

No, but you can - and do - make it difficult for 3rd party packagers to
build RPMs that work across multiple distros/versions, and for users to
install such packages.  It is silly if you don't see that, or that Red
Hat doesn't care if fedora alienates the potential users of RPM and
'system-config-xxx' based distributions.

> Also read the distrowatch FAQ while you are at it that explains how
> unimportant it is. If you really believe the top most distribution in
> that list is the most popular globally, good luck.

Where can I find better metrics?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com