Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:27:54 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>>  I'd say a more accurate description is that jpackage nosrc packages work
>> around the peculiar packaging and PATH requirements of distributions that
>> stubbornly refuse to standardize that crap and make it difficult for their
>> users to install programs of their choice.
>
> Please point me to a comprehensive standardization initiative that I'm
> not already aware of in this area.

It's just depressing that no one is interested in this sort of
cooperation and would prefer to force every possible application to be
rebuilt/repackaged and re-distributed for every version of every distro
to deal with the weirdness they each add.  What's the point?  Once
something works it should never have to be changed.  At most, new shared
libs should fix up anything it needs.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com