Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:44:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  It's just depressing that no one is interested in this sort of cooperation
> and would prefer to force every possible application to be
> rebuilt/repackaged and re-distributed for every version of every distro to
> deal with the weirdness they each add.  What's the point?  Once something
> works it should never have to be changed.  At most, new shared libs should
> fix up anything it needs.

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt with regard to
knowledge of a standardization initiative that I am not currently
aware of.  You've made some pretty firm accusations that we as a
project are ignoring some sort of a longstanding cross-distro
standardization effort with regard to rpm packaging. If such an effort
exists that I'm am not aware of, this is your opportunity to educate
me.

If you succeed in squandering this opportunity, you've pretty much
guaranteed that I'm going to tune you out in favor of spending my time
as a board member listening and interacting with other people who have
useful and constructive information which underlines their criticism.
More than that in fact, if you squander this chance to education me,
once I'm off the board I'll be an active detractor of every single
proposal you put forward regardless of merit.

-jef"the obove can be quickly translated as... vote for me in the next
Board election or you'll be sorry"spaleta