Multilib Middle-Ground

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 1 23:12:55 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'd think that a distribution on the bleeding edge as fedora should be
> the one leading this effort, not looking for something to join.

LSB is a "trailing edge" standard and they aren't out there to really
define anything but document existing practices of commercial
distributions with a focus on the ISV market. This in practice means,
look at things like RHEL and SLES, figure out what is common and bless
it as a standard. Fedora doesn't really fit in there and trying to
define anything like this unilaterally will fail. Loose coordination has
worked well for freedesktop.org and there has been some discussions on
the "distributions" mailing list recently setup there. Also see
vcs-package-discuss at Debian.

Rahul