Multilib Middle-Ground

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri May 2 18:58:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The almost-java versions included in fedora don't run most real-world java
> code.

If we're talking about Fedora 8, yes, there are issues because the the
OpenJDK we ship is a snapshot of JDK 7.  We might consider shipping an
update which doesn't replace java-1.7.0-icedtea, but that people can
switch to with update-alternatives.

But for Fedora 9, I don't think one can say "most" things won't run
with java-1.6.0-openjdk.

> And it is much more difficult than necessary to install a real java
> version.  Just including a jpackage nosrc-style package to adjust Sun Java
> to fedora's peculiar needs would eliminate this complaint, although I really
> think it would have been better to stay compatible with jpackage.org and
> avoid any extra work.

Basically, Fedora is a lot more interested in improving our free
stack.  It's been well known for years how to install the proprietary
JDK; yes, jpackage makes it a lot nicer for those people aware of the
system, but I think we should leave it up to jpackage rather than
putting it into Fedora.