Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:25:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>  Yeah, I understand; but jpackage also became the go-to place for
>  unbreaking the proprietary JDK installs, which I don't think Fedora is
>  very interested in doing in the core distro.

Speaking as the physical manifestation of Fedora 'spirit'... I know
I'm not interested in putting in hacks into our repository that smooth
over the problems.  I see the value in the nosrc implementation that
jpackage has provided, but I'm not particularly interested in seeing
those slip into Fedora's main repository.  That being said, there's no
reason we can't have an open dialog with vendors about packaging best
practices so the packages they offer to Fedora users don't need nosrc
hacks.  The only long term fix lies with the vendors taking
responsibility to work inside the packaging system and being willing
to talk about what their problems are.

-jef