Multilib Middle-Ground

Jason Corley jason.corley at gmail.com
Fri May 2 20:23:35 UTC 2008

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>>> Stripping of pathname-based and package-name based dependencies I
can understand, but not the library deps.
>> Are they the same across all RPM based systems?
> Yes, they are and the third party packages have no excuse if they are deliberately disabling the automatic
> dependency mechanisms.

Really?  No excuse at all?
   http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/pkgdepend.html
Granted the VMware example is not LSB conformant, but the LSB Core
spec specifically says:
   "Packages shall not depend on other system-provided dependencies."
Which brings up the following question: Does anyone in Fedora-land
actually work with the LSB?  I see the redhat-lsb package in the
distro which would seem to imply conformance, but I also see a lot of
opinions like the above expressed as hard fact that clearly fly in the
face of what the LSB mandates.
Jason