Multilib Middle-Ground

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 2 21:58:21 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I can say that OpenNMS won't currently work with a 1.6 version because
> it's developers have said so.

Then surely you should blame OpenNMS for not supporting the latest version of
Java! Java is almost completely backwards-compatible, they have really no
excuses for still shipping something which doesn't work with the 1.5-year-old
latest version.

By the way, have you really tried it? My experience is that stuff often just
works with IcedTea even if they claim to only support 1.5.

> I don't understand what that has to do with making it difficult to
> install a compliant version.

s/compliant/obsolete/

Quit talking about "standards compliant" when what you really want is ancient
legacy crap. The certified 1.6 implementation from Sun won't run those programs
any better than OpenJDK does.

> conversations here I thought someone said the relationship was
> deliberately broken with portions moved into fedora packages and the
> rest ignored.

Are you trying to fault Fedora for including what they can include? Obviously
they won't include the non-Free crap which is on JPackage, nor stuff which
non-Free dependencies. Some of the incompatibilities in packaging are also due
to JPackage hardcoding dependencies on non-Free crap into Free packages which
aren't really necessary and which Fedora patches out.

        Kevin Kofler