Multilib Middle-Ground

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 2 22:00:45 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Can't you just always provide at least 2 versioned libraries?  One
> essentially equivalent to the latest released RHEL or Centos version(s)
> and the other whatever flavor is current?  And unless apps need
> something new, build them against the stable version.

Fedora is about CURRENT technology. They will ALWAYS prefer the CURRENT version
of the libraries if it is at all possible. Why should Fedora build against an
old one? You are using the wrong distribution.

> I'd like to think of distributions as having some editorial control over
> what they ship.  If someone writes crap you don't have to publish it.
> Or at least overlap old/new versions for a complete version run.

We can't ship unmaintained old versions forever. Are you going to maintain the
obsolete branches of things like GCC?

        Kevin Kofler