[Fwd: Apport]

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 2 23:45:18 UTC 2008

Will Woods <wwoods <at> redhat.com> writes:
> I couldn't find details on a crash-report format specific to KDE but if
> someone wants to point me at some existing work in this area I'd
> appreciate it.

KDE has something called KCrash. KCrash intercepts crashes in KDE applications
and brings up a crash window with 2 tabs. The first tab is just the
usually "Sorry, I have crashed" boilerplate, the second tab is for backtraces:
switching to that second tab causes KCrash to invoke GDB and attach it to the
executable, obtaining a backtrace which is displayed in a text box on that tab;
there are 2 buttons on the tab: one to copy the backtrace to the clipboard, one
to save it to a file. And of course the dialog has a Close button. There is no
special format for crash reports, it's just a GDB backtrace. If GDB is not
installed, KCrash just displays an error that no backtrace could be obtained
because GDB is not installed.

        Kevin Kofler