Multilib Middle-Ground

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 3 16:41:31 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

  In fact, I don't
> see any reason any java code needs to be specialized for a distribution
> or included in its own repository.  Why not just make fedora work with
> an external repo for java that works across distributions/versions and
> avoid the issue entirely instead of shipping something that isn't quite
> java?  Even when a real java can be included, what is the point of
> having specialized distro/version packages of the apps that don't need
> specialization?

There is no "specialization" usually necessary for including software in
the repository. Fedora avoids specialization by being close to upstream
usually. Relying on a external repository for Java would mean that we
can't include any Java programs within Fedora. Parts of Openoffice.org,
Eclipse and dozens of programs were introduced into the repository
because of the work that went into GCJ, classpath etc and even OpenJDK
has benefited from that now.

Rahul