FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue May 6 08:54:42 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 17:50 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> It will also teach maintainers not to use Fedora for doing upstream work.
>> I agree.  This proposal seems to be all pain for no gain.
> The fact Fedora ships gcc-4.3.0 is all pain for no gain.

Certainly not!  There's been a bunch of useful improvements, as you'll see
on the gcc web page.

> Please add versions of gcc of all active GCC-branches, such that people
> can continue to use f77 and c++'s backward stuff.
>
> Also consider adding a version of gcc which ships still supports libg++.
>
> Do you sense the insanity?

I don't think this is a relevant comparison.  Most importantly, gcc is a large
package, so there is a considerable cost to shipping more than one version.

As has been pointed out, this FESCo proposal is mere make-work for no purpose.
It serves only to distract maintainers from doing something useful.

Andrew.