FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 6 12:24:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 13:56 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RC> This is a non-issue if upstream uses the autotools properly,
> RC> i.e. is shipping pre-generated files and doesn't run them while
> RC> building.
>
> The upstream developers still need to have autoconf213 in order to
> actually develop the package, though.
Correct - Either they will have to distribute "their autotools
themselves" (Which, for example GCC does.) or switch the version of
autotools they are using.

On a wider scale, as long as vendors ship modified autotools, major
projects will have to do so in any case.

>  Hence they still need to get
> that old version of the package from somewhere.  I see no reason why
> Fedora shouldn't simply provide it for them.
cf. above. From an upstream perspective, unless these tools are 100%
genuine FSF sources, these tools are useless.

Ralf