Localisation needs to be improved

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue May 6 13:07:48 UTC 2008

Ola Thoresen wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Jens Petersen wrote:
>>> Jeroen van Meeuwen さんは書きました:

>>> Sounds like a good idea, I agree.
>>>
>> *doing*
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LocalePreferences
>>
>> Enlist and add your comments, ideas, proposals and changes!
>

> I think the main issue is to separate "language" from "locale". I
> believe this is the main thing for most of us.
> So if LANG and LC_MESSAGES is set from the language-selection and the
> rest of LC_* is set from the location/timezone-selection I think we have
> a reasonable default.
> This should be a quite simple fix, as both these dialogs are already in
> firstboot or anaconda.

Yes;

1) System (global) defaults

1a) Language selection now implies locale, and maybe it shouldn't
1b) Timezone selection does not impact locale, while maybe it should

2) End-User Preferences

==

1) makes for a good use-case to implement anything different from the
current situation; whether it goes into anaconda or firstboot or "System
 > Administration" -I'm sorry I'm a GNOME user, rest assured it should
be available to _all_ desktop environments and the console. Setting
system locale defaults from the timezone selected in anaconda/firstboot
makes perfect sense. I'm thinking this may also imply some sort of
'locale --messages=nl_NL.utf8 --paper=de_DE.utf8' (or something similar)
in kickstart.

2) requires something _outside_ anaconda and firstboot, possibly in
"System > Preferences" (sorry for that, again).

I'll update the wiki feature page to reflect these things, soon.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip