F9 nfs, rpcbind, NetworkManager

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue May 6 13:38:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 16:13 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > > Yes, haldaemon is at 98.
> > >

> > What version of hal and NetworkManager do you have?
> >
> > Bill
> >

> ]# yum list hal NetworkManager
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
>  * rawhide: mirror.hiwaay.net
> rawhide                                                  | 2.4 kB
> 00:00
> Installed Packages
> NetworkManager.i386                      1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566.

Yeah; you'll want latest F9 bits for NM at least.

> Also, NetworkManager keeps erasing /etc/resolv.conf.  I go into
> Network and define all the DNS.  I check /etc/resolv.conf to make sure
> it gets there.  And then some time later when I'm doing some network
> operation DNS fails and I look and /etc/resolv.conf is empty except
> for the line that says generated by NetworkManager.

Since the DNS info is not necessarily global to the entire machine, but
can be per-device, you probably want to define DNS servers and search
domains directly in the ifcfg files as is done for PPP connections
already.  Updated versions of NetworkManager will place a note
in /etc/resolv.conf pointing this out if it can't find any DNS servers.

The problem is that resolv.conf is transient.  It's created from a
_composite_ of the DNS information from multiple connections.  For
example, if I'm on a VPN, I need the nameservers for both my normal
(eth0) connection and the VPN connection, but the VPN may only resolve
names for the private network, not the internet as a whole.  But I
certainly don't want the VPN nameserver listed in resolv.conf when I'm
not connected to the VPN.  That sort of thing.

Dan