Bodhi documentation for new packages

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Tue May 6 22:42:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 03:27:01PM -0400, Aaron S. Hawley wrote:
> [Please, Cc me replies, thanks.]
>
> The directions for joining Fedora as a package maintainer[1] are really
> great. Unfortunately, they trail off at the end when it comes to important
> tasks of making the package live using the Bodhi system, section "Request
> updates to released Fedoras for your new package".  I ran into this
> roadblock last month, and it hasn't improved since.
>
> As a new maintainer, I know very little about the updates infrastructure of
> Fedora, which I predict is assumed knowledge about using Bodhi.  This is
> probably unfair to new maintainers.  Here's my proposal for what this
> section should say.  It is also what I did, so I'm sure it needs
> correction, and let me know so I can get my new package (gnue-common) live.
>  Thanks for Fedora, /a

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and help improve our documentation.
I completely agree that the updates/bodhi docs need some work.  Come F9,
I hope to have a lot of new bodhi features and changes to existing
workflow deployed, so I'll be tweaking the documentation a lot then.

> -- BEGIN --
>
> The first field asks for the name of the "Package".  This will feature a
> name completion system, but is currently broken.  It uses the tag used in
> Fedora CVS and the Koji build system, e.g.
> <package-name>-<version>-<release>.fc9.

The build completion is no longer broken.  It doesn't not query by tag
(yet, at least), it simply offers all builds for the given package.

> For new packages, choose "enhancement" as the "type" of update.

Correct, for now.  Spot and I discussed this yesterday and we thought it
would probably be a good idea to add another type of update specifically
for new packages.  This would allow tools like PackageKit to say "Hey,
check out the newest packages in Fedora that you could possibly install!"

> Keep the "Request" as "testing".

It's probably best to leave this up to the developer pushing the update.
I originally made bodhi force packages to go through testing first, but
many people complained and had their reasons for wanting pushing directly
to stable.

> There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"
> field blank.

New packages could possibly add their Review Request bug to the update,
which will have bodhi automatically close it when it gets pushed.

> For new packages, add a copy of the package's description in the "Notes"
> section so end users will know what it is.[2]

This sounds fine.

Cheers,
luke