New system-config-acpid

Zdenek Prikryl zprikryl at redhat.com
Wed May 7 14:14:11 UTC 2008

Bastien Nocera napsal(a):
>> Simple reason :-)... if you don't use gnome or kde or this applets, the
>> simplest way how to get things work is configure this daemon.
>
> Not really. With HAL running, it should push the ACPI key events through
> D-Bus. There's no need for a system-config-acpid or even using acpid.

That is true, but you have to have an application or a daemon which would be
listening on d-bus, don't you?

>> On the other hand I agree, that better way is catch this events via HAL and then
>> send it to d-bus. But in this case, again, you have to have this applets. AFAIK
>> there is no "acpid" for dbus which you can configure for any acpi events (like
>> Fn5 which should enable bluetooth).
>
> With the right keymap, all those events already trickle to X, so there
> shouldn't ever be a need for acpid or a system-config-acpid, as there's
> already enough hot-key handlers in X (such as the ones builtin to GNOME
> and KDE).

That is it "builtin to GNOME and KDE"... but there are a lot of users who don't
use gnome or kde and it this case, as a user, you have two option a) try to
install {gnome, kde}-applets b) configure it via other daemon like acpid (it
could be other daemon or an application, but it has to be independent on a
desktop environment). The question is, what is better, force users to use
{gnome, kde}-applets or give then a choice to configure an action on an acpi
events or hotkeys.

> Do we still install acpid by default?

These days, if you use gnome or kde I think that it is not necessary to install
acpid. If you have another desktop environment, then you need a choice to get
acpi thinks work.

--
Zdenek Prikryl <zprikryl at redhat.com>