JahShaka

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Tue May 13 13:49:13 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Casey Dahlin wrote:
>> Pitivi is nice for little home movies, but it is NOT an industrial
>> strength NLE and I think it would do more harm to itself than good if
>> it tried to be. It will keep Joe User very happy, but not the prosumer
>
> But we are not allowed (by law) to include something that, according
> to your definition, will make the prosumer crowd happy. What to do?

This is in practice. The key issue here is the nature of the interface
and kinds of features exposed, not the codecs. It just so happens that
all the good prosumer options are a bit less than patent-friendly, its
not because it must be that way.

>> crowd. And trying to give Cinelerra to those people is just
>> embarrassing. Its about as stable as win98 and kludgey as hell.
>
> Well, in my experience Cinelerra is worse than Win98, maybe like
> Windows Me :p But, again, due to the codecs, Cinelerra is not included
> in Fedora either...
>
> You may consider packaging JahShaka at Livna/Rpmfusion. Ptitivi in
> Fedora proper for everyone and JahShaka in Livna for those who are
> allowed by local law.

Or I could hike upstream and make JahShaka use gstreamer.... hmm....

--CJD