rhgb no more

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:07:51 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

One thing you will soon notice in F10 rawhide is that rhgb is no
longer around.  We've blocked it and plan on replacing it for F10.

This is a continuation of our "BetterStartup" feature from a few
Fedoras ago (I would post a link but the wiki seems to be down).  The
replacement for rhgb will be a mixture of two things:

1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
progress before asking for login.   This is somewhat in line with the
early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
fedora releases ago.

2) Hiding boot messages before gdm unless escape key is pressed.  For
graphics hardware that has drm modesetting, we'll be able to show some
sort of pretty graphics, and for everyone else we'll show a very
simple text mode progress.

Just a heads up,
Ray