Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:48:10 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> So there are a bunch of Java packages that I use that I would like to
>> drive into *some* repository where they can get picked up and used by
>> others with similar needs.  I've been driving towards Fedora so far.
>> What's a good long-term solution, then?  Should I keep that up, focus
>> on JPackage, help figure out how the two are going to cooperate, ...?
>
> If people need some software in Fedora, they are going to look for it in
> the Fedora repository first.

Sorry, but that's not always true.  I wouldn't.

> Since Openjdk/icedtea is in Fedora, more
> java programs would build in Fedora now than before. End users shouldn't
> have to work through conflicting repositories or care about the language
> a software is written in to use it.

The way to avoid conflicting repositories is to _not duplicate them with
differences_!  The more stuff you have that's not quite like jpackage
the worse you make this problem.  Plus making things different on
different platforms that don't have to be.

> Changes can and should be shared
> with other repositories and upstream software projects however.

Just eliminate the reason you need those changes and sharing can just
happen.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com