Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:48:43 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>>
>>> 5) The attitude that our users can find a package in JPackage if it's
>>> not in Fedora is detrimental to us.  Where ever possible, we don't
>>> want user's to have to *find* packages, we want them to be able to
>>> yum install the package out of the box.
>>
>>  From a user's perspective, the best way to not have to 'find'
>> jpackage packages - or worry about conflicts - would be for the yum
>> configuration  for the jpackage repo to be installed out of the box in
>> fedora and have no duplication at all.
>
> As indicated earlier, that wouldn't really work either. It would bring
> in all the problems in separating Fedora Core and Fedora Extras with the
> additional legal liability of linking to a third party repository. All
> programs including Openoffice.org which has some Java dependencies would
> have to moved out of the primary repository into a third party one. Not
> going to fly.

Then just admit that the duplication causes more harm than good and make
the user set up his own yum configuration if pointing to jpackage is a
problem for you.  Do the same with openoffice if you can't support it
without badly duplicating packages with better upstreams.  What's the
point of making things worse for your users?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com