rhgb no more

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed May 14 13:49:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 14:58 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:07:51PM -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> > 2) Hiding boot messages before gdm unless escape key is pressed.  For
> > graphics hardware that has drm modesetting, we'll be able to show some
> > sort of pretty graphics, and for everyone else we'll show a very
> > simple text mode progress.
>
> Here we go again.
>
> Are you going to wait for the escape key to be pressed or not for a
> little while, or are we going to have to press just at the right time
> between grub and modeswitch if we want to have a chance to check for
> problems?

I hope it will always allow you to switch on the fly to the full log at
any time or it will be a problem in many cases.

> Is there going to be an easy way (like there is with rhgb) to see the
> messages (including history) while booting, to check for problems too?

I hope so.

> And, the usual rhetorical question, why so much people like the idea
> of forcibly ensuring that the users won't learn anything, ever?

Users don't want to "learn", why should you FORCE users to "learn"
something ?

I personally like the option of *not* seeing ugly text messages at boot,
even if I perfectly understand what they mean and find them useful when
there is an error.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York