Epiphany/Midori + WebKit "Usage experiences"

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun May 18 12:46:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am a happy epiphany user and as such I am concerned about it's
transition to WebKit backend. I noticed there is already, at least, one
web browser using WebKit in Fedora repos - Midori, so I installed it
(about a month ago) and when in need in fast access to web browser (I
use to save sessions in Ephy and there are lots of pages to load before
it's usable) I use Midori. Today I've built epiphany from svn with the
WebKit backend and decided to write short summary about it's usability.

First, a build issue. Where can I find m4 macro AM_CHECK_PYTHON_HEADERS?
Epiphany needs it, but it's not available in python-devel.

And now for the runtime :)

First let me say that on the contrary of it being svn snapshot it seems
so far pretty usable, IMHO more usable than ephy with XULRunner during
the pre F-9 transition...

Now some WebKit related issues I noticed both in Epiphany and Midori:

 * fedoraforum.org displays white page (out of the tens, maybe hundreds
of pages I tried, this is the only one with the issue :-/)

 * ftp protocol seems to be not fully implemented - it just prints some
sort of directory listing (without any formating) and that's all...

 * the performance is sometimes sluggish, especially during page loading
the webbrowser freezes for a while, or is really slow

 * traditional linux copy&paste (mouse select) is broken

 * cannot log into websites with pop-up dialog boxes

 * In epiphany, open in new tab option is missing

I'll probably start looking for/filling bugs upstream when I have enough
time to do so. If anyone experience these issues as well and is aware of
relevant bug #, let me know :)

Thanks,
Martin