Glitch-Free PulseAudio in Rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sun May 18 20:02:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 18.05.08 05:44, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung <at> 0pointer.de> writes:
> > Since yesterday glitch-free PulseAudio is available in Rawhide,
>
> Too bad what we actually need is BUG-FREE PulseAudio. ;-) (And no, I'm not just
> talking about the regressions, but about all the longstanding bugs:
> http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/pulseaudio .)

Ah, "bug-free" software. I love the idea. Unfortunately there is no
such thing.

I am not sure what you want. Most of these bugs are either waiting for
more feedback from the reporter, are wishlist bugs, are obsolete, or
are merely kept around to track issues outside of PA
(i.e. closed-source sw not working with our compat foo). Maybe you
should actually have a look inside these reports before starting to
complain? And even better, instead of complaining maybe you should
just help me fix the remaining issues? It's Free Software, you know?

I think you are victim of the misconception that PA itself is
horrendously buggy. However, please keep in mind what we are doing
here: we have added a completely new layer to our software stack and
need to make sure that the vast number of audio applications which are
already out there are adapted to work with this new layer. Those apps
sometimes make assumptions about how sound hw works that can never be
kept by PA, sometimes they violate the existing APIs and sometimes are
closed source. Now put these things together with the large number of
applications out there and maybe you get and idea why the way to
kick-ass audio on Linux is as rocky as it is.

Also, if you claim that I neglect longstanding important bugs, then
please be more specific and tell me exactly the bug numbers.

Thank you,

Lennart