GDM setup

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Mon May 19 17:02:12 UTC 2008

John.Mizell at tch.com wrote:
> It seem that there is not an setup gui for GDM now in fedora 9. I also
> checked to see the documentation at
> http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration but it it not clear on how to
> enable remote x11 apps to display locally.
> Is there a work around and will this be added in a gui setup later on?
>
> John Mizell
> Systems Administrator
> TCH
> 4185 Harrison Blvd. Suite 202
> Ogden, Utah 84403
> 801-624-4604

I'm at a loss as well - I've been using this crude hack:

mv /usr/bin/Xorg /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
cat > /usr/bin/Xorg <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
newargs="`echo "$@" | sed 's/-nolisten tcp//'`"
exec /usr/bin/Xorg.bin -ignoreABI $newargs
EOF
chmod 4755 /usr/bin/Xorg

Basically a short shell-script to whack the command line as passed to Xorg.
I also needed the -ignoreABI for the proprietary nvidia 173.08 driver.
nv and nouveau don't seem to handle non-Xinerama dual-head.

Cheers,
-Bob Arendt