GDM setup

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Mon May 19 17:35:52 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 10:50 -0600, John.Mizell at tch.com wrote:
>> It seem that there is not an setup gui for GDM now in fedora 9. I also
>> checked to see the documentation at
>> http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration but it it not clear on how to
>> enable remote x11 apps to display locally.
>> Is there a work around and will this be added in a gui setup later on?
>
> Just having remote X11 apps display locally does not really involve gdm
> and should work fine in F9. If you are talking about xdmcp, them yes,
> that does not currently work. The basic support for it is there, but it
> is not quite complete, afaik.

Actually, it does involve gdm.  When starting the Xserver, gdm tacks on
a "-nolisten tcp" argument, inhibiting direct display to the Xserver.
You can work around this using "ssh -X" to tunnel the X-display, but this
may break some existing work-flows.  There used to be a config param
in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to set DisallowTCP=false to acheive this.  An
equivalent setting doesn't show up in the new gdm schemas.