Glitch-Free PulseAudio in Rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue May 20 09:52:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 20.05.08 06:22, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:

> Callum Lerwick <seg <at> haxxed.com> writes:
> > Why is it not auto-restarted by the session manager?
>
> Or autospawned by the client library like aRts does. PA even supports this, why
> is this not the default? Yes, in a perfect world, PA should not crash, but
> respawning it if it did (maybe with a passive notification that PA had to be
> respawned because it crashed, bonus points if you can display the crash reason
> for things like aborts or assertion failures) is the robust way to handle
> things.

Because auto-spawning tapes over bugs. And it really should be run on session
startup, not delayed until the first client connects. Why? Because there
are certain services PA provides that are not dependant on local
client usage. i.e. availability over the network, executing policy
code one hardware pluggin, and so on and so on.

And just respawning when we crash is taping over bugs, too. I am not
generally opposed to it, though. However I fear it won't help much
since PA's state is lost and thus all music would stop playing
anyway.

Most importantly however, PA is still run via a shell script "esd"
from gnome-session, but not session managed. This certainly needs
fixing.

Regarding auto-spawning: most likely I will enable auto-spawning by
default pretty soon -- but not because I like taping over bugs, but
instead because we need better support of PA on the console, the a11y
people need that. We don't have no session manager on the console, so
it's difficult to start PA from one. It is going to be in addition to
be started fro gnome-session.

Lennart