changes at planet fedora

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 20:01:03 UTC 2008

2008/5/19 seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi all,
>  I'm making some changes with how we build up the list of folks/rss
> feeds for the fedora planet. We're making it more self-service and a bit
> easier to maintain for the admin group (and specifically easier for me
> to put up with). For all the people currently on the planet please
> follow these instructions to make sure your feed stays on there:
>
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/docs/planet-addition.html
>
> These instructions will be added to the wiki after the wiki migration
> happens next week.
>
> Let me know what problems you have, too.
>
> thanks,
> -sv

To comment on the new rules you've made:

   1.  As a fedora contributor you have to have a Fedora Account
System account, have signed the cla and be a member of at least one
other group in FAS.

I strongly disagree on this one!! A person that writes a lot about
fedora and thus deserves to be on the planet list doesn't need to be
registered (or wants to register) at fedora so that you people can say
your community is growing (because that WILL happen when a high fedora
person gets interviewed and gets asked about the community behind it
whether you want it or not). I personally didn't register there yet
because the registration system asks things of me that i don't want to
supply or don't feel like i need to supply them thus won't register
until it either changes or when i'm up to put the time in it to get it
all done.

   2. Next, you need to login to your fedorapeople.org account. Use
your ssh key you uploaded into the FAS to do this.

don't quite get this one but is releated to the FAS which i disagreed
so i disagree on this one as well..

   3. You need to create a .planet file in your homedir. The content
of the file should be like this:

Interesting.. you are asking things of the user to do (besides posting
fedora stuff) so that they can be on the planet list.. i understand
why you want it but again don't agree on this one. Why do you ask of a
user to do this? if a user has a blog on some place where he doesn't
have access to upload files (like blogspot and wordpress) then the
user, which might have very good fedora articles, can't get on the
planet.. I would drop this rule if i where you and put it in the
fedora accounting system if a user needs to register there anyway..
You probably look for the .planet file anyway and save it in a
database.

Don't get me wrong! i like the planet thing and look ther quite often
but dislike the rules you've just put on them (not that i want to
submit my blog).
I would be surprised if this is gonna work! seems like you simply ask
to much of a user for them to only have there blog indexed on some
kind of a planet site. Also a person that hates fedora might get on
the planet with this automated system.

What i would propose:
Keep it the way it is to maintain quality. perhaps do a few things
automatic but not everything! if it's to much for you to handle then
post a request for some other people that can help with it. I'm sure
there will be a few. I would (if i don't have to register at the FAS).

Just think about it.