Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed May 21 01:24:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:54:52 -0700
"Christopher Stone" <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it's that simple, you should be able to do it yourself.  The code is
> > there.  Have at it.
> >
> > (HINT: It's not simple at all)
>

> According to this thread it seems pretty simple actually:
>
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=188645

Sure.  Creating them locally is simple.  Then all you'd have to do is
get it past review, get the primary Xorg maintainer to agree, and
support it for the entire release.  Which includes handling all the bug
reports for it.  Which you might get a lot of and won't be able
to do a damn thing about because of binary drivers.

Maintaining free software is like having a kid.  Anyone can make it,
but it takes someone that actually cares to maintain it well.

> If redhat wants to pay me $100k a year, I'll happily make xorg compat
> rpms in about one day.  Thank you very much.

I believe that shows your fundamental lack of understanding about
Fedora and open source software on many levels.

josh