Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Wed May 21 01:39:30 UTC 2008

Jason Tang wrote:
> The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
> nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
> non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
> confidence in the dev team.

That's nothing new you know. Out of the 9 fedora releases, I think at
least 8 out of 9 didn't work with the Nvidia driver at release time.
however Nvidia is usually pretty good at playing catch up.

I'm also hostage to Nvidia's good will for my Lenovo T61's Quadro
chipset, and can't upgrade to F-9 until their next release (nv doesn't
work at all on this chipset). I wouldn't go back to a Radeon chipset
though, not until we have a working free equivalent (emphasis on
'working') to nvidia-settings for easy dual-head support... The good
news is that with xrandr maturing, we're probably almost there.