Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 21 03:25:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 22:02 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > that an upgrade path for nVidia users could be provided without much
> > extra effort.
>
> The nVidia thing comes up every release.  Eventually I'm sure nVidia
> will update their driver and then the upgrade path for users
> choosing to use that driver will be an option.  Waiting a few more weeks
> for that to happen is not the end of the world.

... and if people would spend as much time helping out with nouveau[1]
as they've spent complaining on this thread, we'd be that much closer to
a real, sustainable solution to fully supporting nVidia's hardware as
opposed to having this discussion every release.  Seriously.  The
nouveau guys are making *real* progress.  Even just trying out nouveau
and providing feedback is helpful to them.  Also, they have a list of
things which need testing[2] as well as a list of cards which they could
use some dump information from[3].

Jeremy

[1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org
[2] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TestersWanted