Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Wed May 21 04:04:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 22:50 -0500, Erich Zigler wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Can't people read or something?
>
> I wasn't rude to you. Why must you be rude to me?

because this thread is going on far too long and people need to get over
it :), but I do apologise for that, I'm mainly replying on autopilot
while trying to do actual useful work for users.

> > 1. X.org ABI for 1.5 is what we ship in F9, this hasn't changed in
> > months, I've ported 15 other drivers to it in this time. It will not
> > change before 1.5 final is released.
> > 2. Nvidia don't release drivers for X.org releases.
> > 3. Nvidia only bother releasing  drivers when a distro has shipped the
> > ABI. Now we happen to be the first distro to ship most things, so we get
> > to be distro that nvidia have to port their drivers to. Other distros
> > lag releasing, however it won't help us if we lag, as Nvidia won't do
> > anything until one of Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, RHEL, or SLED do a
> > release.
> > I was as much responsible for shipping 1.5 pre-release in Fedora as ajax
> > was, and funnily these threads actually move me to break the nvidia
> > driver more often rather than less :-)
>
> You know a lot more about this stuff then I do but I don't see any
> thing you posted there to make #3 and #5 any less true. The point I
> was trying to make in #3 and #5 was consideration for the user in such
> decisions and noting such things as this in the Release Notes.

Point 5 is okay, but you're point 3 said
"The root issue is that Fedora shipped a prerelease version of Xorg
that many are unhappy with.". I was merely pointing out that this wasn't
the root issue, and that I had pointed it out before in this thread as
had other people. so again, if Xorg had released 1.5 before F9 shipped
it wouldn't have mattered to the current situation. See point 2 above,
and then read point 3.

Dave.