Did the "uname" change on ppc64 in Rawhide?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed May 21 09:39:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 10:30 +0100, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out why a package that built for F8 and F9 failed
> on Rawhide. Here are the logs for the failed Rawhide bid:
>
>     http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=622220
>
> In this build, "configure" dies with:
>     checking build system type...
>     Invalid configuration `ppc64-redhat-linux-gnu': machine
> `ppc64-redhat' not recognized
>     configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub ppc64-redhat-linux-gnu failed
>
> Whereas on F8 and F9 on PPC64, building the identical SRPM works fine
> (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=622181 and
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=622176) and the
> corresponding output from "configure" in both cases is:
>     checking build system type...
>     powerpc64-redhat-linux-gnu
>     [ ... continue configuring ... ]
>
> Any suggestions what's going on here?

Wild guess: Very likely, the package you are trying to build is shipping
a very outdated "config.guess" and/or which doesn't recognize the
triplet (Read: Outdated upstream sources)

Either replace (patch) the versions of config.guess/config.sub inside of
the tarball with more recent ones, or (better) convince upstream to
update their config.guess/config.sub.

Ralf