Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:52:34 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Callum Lerwick [21/05/2008 11:03] :
>> I like how in these threads it keeps conveniently being ignored that we work
>> just fine out of the box on Nvidia. We just don't have 3D yet.
>
> I've always being surprised at the amount of blame-shifting that occurs
> in regards to Nvidia's drivers.
>
> - The free drivers suck. This apparently isn't NVidia's fault (which is
>   strange since they help maintain it) but the x.org developers'.

Yet everyone here keeps saying something better would happen if only the
proprietary driver were free.

> - The non-free drivers aren't free. This apparently isn't NVidia's fault.

There are such things as non disclosure agreements that can prevent
publishing information. Why shouldn't you respect their legal obligations?

> - This makes the drivers impossible to ship as part of the distribution
>   or support as a third-party repo. This is somehow the distribution's
>   fault.

The binaries permit redistribution.  How does that make it impossible to
have in a repository?

> - They don't release drivers once the ABI is frozen or even the day
>   stable releases of x.org are issued. This apparently isn't their fault.

This seems to be speculation, seeing as how we don't have a release and
the xorg drivers were done before they told anyone else the interface
was stable.

> - They won't release the specs. This apparently isn't their fault.

It may be legal commitments - but its their right either way and not
really anyone else's business.

> - They badmouth the open source developement model. I have no idea why
>   but this isn't their fault.

Open source is probably a tiny part of their business.  The stuff seems
OK on a Mac and I haven't seen this kind of complaint about Solaris
which uses essentially the same driver.  But perhaps they do a better
job of coordinating their releases so all the needed components are
ready before users have to deal with it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com